Home > About Cedar > School History

School History

THE WAY WE WERE

In 1957, we started functioning as a school with an enrolment of 507 girls, 13 classes and a staff of 18. Pupils and teachers came from various quarters, and moulding them into a homogenous body posed a challenge to the first two principals.

School certificate results were quite remarkable at that time. In 1957, out of the 79 girls who sat for the School Certificate Examination, 40 passed. The next year saw 44 out of 105 girls obtain the "O" level certificates. And 64 out of 146 passed the examination in 1958.

Today, the picture is totally different. The school enrolment is about 1 300 pupils and teaching staff of 80. The school went single session in 1992 and gained autonomous status in 1996. All classes are in the Express Stream / Special Stream. We are also one of the top twenty secondary schools in Singapore.

We also made our mark in various co-curricular activities, winning tournaments at zonal and national schools levels, especially in the National Inter-Schools Track and Field Championships where we are the reigning champions for the Girls B and C Divisions, for the sixth year running. The Choir, Drama and Dance Clubs were also in the limelight, winning gold medals and putting up creative public performances.

 

We have indeed come a long way!